Join Our Team
At Desmos, we like hard problems, which is why we've picked one of the toughest ones in education: making challenging math engaging and accessible to everyone. We work in the middle intersection of great curriculum design and cutting edge technology, and we're hiring.
The PerksWe believe that great work requires a great workplace, thoughtful colleagues, a balanced life, and minimal distractions. Here is what it means to work at Desmos.
Great benefits.Full medical, vision, and dental insurance, catered lunch every day, unlimited vacation days whenever you need them.
Productive environment.No mandatory meetings, bureaucracy, or artificial barriers. Full transparency and participation in company goals and direction.
Competitive compensation.We offer substantial equity, competitive salary, and retirement matching to every fulltime employee. We want everyone to feel both financially secure and deeply invested in the future of the company.
Work-life balance.We value results over hours, and sustainable, long-term success over short-term wins. We also love sleep.
At Desmos, our mission is to help every student learn math and to love learning math. Our free graphing calculator is upending a multi-decade monopoly, making math available to the billions of students in the world by breaking down barriers of income and even disability. The graphing calculator services over 40 million users per year with excellent feedback from classroom teachers and glowing coverage from CNN, Bloomberg, USAToday, and others.
Our free graphing calculator has raised the standard for digital math tools and we're now working to raise the standard for digital math content, combining the best ideas from education research, technology, and design. The activities we’re designing have a large and growing community of millions of students and teachers around the world.
Our offices are located in the heart of San Francisco, in a beautiful, sunny office in SOMA, and we're backed by Google Ventures, Kapor Capital, and Learn Capital. Our investors are fantastic, but our business model is strong enough that we are funding our newest projects with our own revenue, all while giving away our graphing calculator at no cost to teachers and students.
Desmos is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Furthermore, we believe that diversity leads to stronger teams, better products, and more successful companies. Come join us as we tackle the hard problems we love and build an enduring company in the process.
Desmos is on a mission to improve the quality of math education in every classroom. We do this by letting teachers and students access rich, interactive, and pedagogically sound math experiences right on their browser. Building high-quality math content is no easy task, and requires close collaboration between teachers, designers and engineers, as well as constant testing in real classrooms.
Our engineering team builds elegant and flexible systems that can quickly respond to design and pedagogy demands. We are often tasked with coming up with creative solutions to get an interaction feeling just right. We empower our teachers and designers to create delightful and meaningful math experiences.
What you should show up ready to teach anyone on your first day:
- How a healthy engineering culture and practices help build production quality software.
- A 5-minute summary of any basic computer science topic.
- Design decisions in a piece of code you wrote, including alternatives and trade offs you made.
- How you would improve this piece of code?
What you’ll learn more about after you’re hired:
- Our commitment to accessibility and how to keep accessibility in mind during the development process.
- Our approach to building software that works every time - scoping, design, architecture, code review, testing, automation, monitoring, etc.
- How to build rich browser interactions like our Marbleslides activities, this awesome graph, and some delightful geometry.
Within your first week, you’ll:
- Introduce yourself on Slack to your new co-workers!
- Learn about our process for writing, testing, and deploying code.
- Ship your first piece of code to production!
Within your first month, you’ll:
- Familiarize yourself with Typescript and our in-house, front-end framework.
- Complete your first user-facing feature in collaboration with other teams (design, business, teaching faculty).
- Start reviewing code from other engineers on the team, bringing your keen eye for pragmatic and elegant solutions to challenging problems.
Within your first three months, you’ll:
- Be the technical lead on your first major project, guiding it from design to implementation.
- Participate in goal setting to help determine the direction of the company and our engineering priorities for the near future.
- Visit a classroom to watch students use our technology to learn mathematics.
Within your first year, you’ll:
- Attend a math education conference with the Desmos team to get to know our users and better understand the role that Desmos plays in the classroom.
- Be a technical lead on a quarter level goal for the company.
- Become the company’s expert on one or more areas of the code base.
- Help hire and onboard new members of the engineering team.
- Take a vacation to recharge. We do our best work when we’re happy and well-rested.
Learn more about our company! Then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Software Engineer” in the subject. Include your resume and a cover letter that helps us understand your preparation for the work we’ve described above.